Enjoy this simple but flavorful dish!
**Recipe nutritional facts calculated with 1/4c rice and 6 shrimp. To lower carbs use cauliflower rice.
Cajun Shrimp Etoufee
- 1.5 cups brown or jasmine rice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 each onion, chopped
- 1 each green bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 15 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cup broth seafood or vegetable
- 2 TBSP old bay seasoning
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- Cook the rice per the package details. This will take 30-40 minutes.
- Whisk the oil and flour together in a skillet. Cook over medium or medium-high heat, stirring consistently for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is a peanut butter color. You will need to consistently stir or the flour will burn.
- Stir in the pepper, onion, and celery. Sauté covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the tomatoes, 1 cup of the broth, old bay seasoning and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes. If to thick add in remainder of broth.
- Mix in the shrimp and hot sauce. Cook for 2-5 minutes or until the shrimp or opaque. Remove from heat.
- Serve over cooked rice.
- To make low carb you can use cauliflower rice.
Sodium: 505mgCalcium: 2mgSugar: 3gFiber: 1gPotassium: 22mgCholesterol: 70mgCalories: 201kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gFat: 10gProtein: 30gCarbohydrates: 17gIron: 0.1mg
This recipe is a family favorite. It makes about 16 servings portioned at 1 cup each.
White Chicken Chili
- 3 each boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cans white kidney beans
- 2 cans navy beans
- 1 can rotel I used the 14.5 ounce can
- 1 can corn
- 1 8 oz container great value light cream cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 package hidden valley ranching seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- Place the chicken in the crockpot with water and cook on slow for about 6 hours. After the cooking time is over, take the chicken breast out of the crockpot and shred.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the crock pot.
- Add the kidney beans and navy beans into the crockpot.
- Pour the corn, undrained, into the crockpot.
- Pour the rotel, undrained, into the crockpot.
- Add all spices.
- Place the cream cheese on top. Cover with lid and cook on low for another 2 hours.
- Stir all together, occasionally, for 2 hours. Once done enjoy!
- Makes 16 1 cup servings.
Sodium: 573mgCalcium: 64mgVitamin C: 2.6mgVitamin A: 405IUSugar: 3.2gFiber: 6.5gPotassium: 585.4mgCholesterol: 70.3mgCalories: 265kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 0.8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.8gSaturated Fat: 2.1gFat: 5.1gProtein: 30.9gCarbohydrates: 22.6gIron: 2.5mg
Ham, Egg & Cheese Pockets
These irresistible Ham, Egg and Cheese Pockets are super easy to make and will definitely be a favorite!
- 1 each low carb Mission tortilla
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 ounce cheese
- 2 ounces ham
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. I used 1 per pocket made.
- Spray the foil with nonstick spray.
- Place the tortilla on the foil.
- Place ham in the middle of the tortilla, making sure you arrange it to it is flat, not a mound.
- Place the shredded cheese in the middle of the ham, then form into a ring.
- Working quickly, crack (one pocket at a time) crack an egg into the ring then fold the bottom and top edges in, then the left and right side to form a package. Make sure the tortilla covers the entire egg. Then wrap in the foil. DO NO TURN UPSIDE DOWN!
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Check to ensure the yolk is cooked by poking the pocket, you will feel the dome shape of the yolk. The base and the edges should be crispy and the top will be soft.
- Unwrap immediately and serve hot!
- To cut down on the fat, you can swap the egg for 3 TBSP egg whites or use a light cheese. If you are trying to swap the ham out for bacon keep in mind you will increase the fat in this dish.
Sodium: 1111mgCalcium: 2240mgVitamin A: 4000IUSugar: 2.2gFiber: 15gPotassium: 279mgCholesterol: 241mgCalories: 312kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 2.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2.5gSaturated Fat: 18.3gFat: 18.3gProtein: 28.3gCarbohydrates: 22.4gIron: 1.6mg
Chicken Parm Stuffed Peppers
- 4 each bell pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup marinara, reduced calorie
- 1 TBSP parsley
- 12 ounces chicken, shredded
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, light
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine parmesan, garlic, marinara, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined, then gently for into chicken.
- Spoon mixture into halved bell peppers (remove seeds and membranes) and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Pour chicken broth into baking dish (to help peppers steam) and cover with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, 55 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover and broil 2 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
Sodium: 411mgCalcium: 190mgVitamin C: 171.6mgVitamin A: 4000IUSugar: 3gFiber: 2gPotassium: 24mgCholesterol: 63mgCalories: 199kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 5gFat: 8gProtein: 23gCarbohydrates: 10gIron: 0.7mg